Spanish words of Austronesian origin
the free encyclopedia,
Become a member of TranslationDirectory.com at just
$8 per month (paid per year)
Use the search bar to look for terms in all glossaries, dictionaries, articles and other resources simultaneously
This is a list of Spanish words that come from Austronesian languages. It is further divided into words that come from Hawaiian, Javanese, and Malay. Some of these words have alternate etymologies and may also appear on a list of Spanish words from a different language.
- bambú= bamboo: probably from Malay bambú "bamboo."
- cacatúa= cockatoo: from Malay kakatua, "cockatoo," from kakak "older brother" + tua "old."
- casuarina= Casuarina: from Malay kěsuari "," + -ina (diminutive suffix). Named for the similarity in appearance between the little branches of the tree and the feathers of the casuario (see following).
- casuario= cassowary: from Malay kěsuari.
- lancha= launch (boat): from Portuguese lancha, from Malay lancha, lancharan, "boat," from lanchar "velocity without effort," "action of gliding smoothly" (said primarily of boats and turtles).
- malayo= a Malaysian person: from Malay Mělayu, of uncertain origin.
- orangután= orangutan: from Malay ōrang hūtan "person of the jungle," from ōrang "man, person" + hūtan "jungle, forest."
- barangay= from balañgay, meaning "barrio", ultimately from balangay an ancient Malayo-Polynesian boat
- abacá= from abaka a native species of banana
- "Breve diccionario etimológico de la lengua española" by Guido Gómez de Silva (ISBN 968-16-2812-8)
See all linguistics glossaries:
Published - February 2009
glossary is available under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation
Find free glossaries at TranslationDirectory.com
Find free dictionaries at TranslationDirectory.com
Subscribe to free TranslationDirectory.com newsletter
Need more translation jobs from translation agencies? Click here!
Translation agencies are welcome to register here - Free!
Freelance translators are welcome to register here - Free!
Submit your glossary or dictionary for publishing at TranslationDirectory.com