English words of Scots origin
the free encyclopedia,
Become a member of TranslationDirectory.com at just
$8 per month (paid per year)
Use the search bar to look for terms in all glossaries, dictionaries, articles and other resources simultaneously
List of English words of Scots origin is a list of English language words of Scots origin. See also "List of English words of Scottish Gaelic origin", which contains many words which were borrowed via Lowland Scots.
- A form of extortion carried out by the Border Reivers, borrowed into English with less violent connotations.
- caddie or caddy
- Also Northern English. From English can in older sense of "to know how."
- Borrowed from Gaelic clann (family, stock, off-spring).
- Borrowed from French convenir, from Latin convenire.
- Derived from Old Icelandic fjǫrdic (see fjord)
- Meaning magic, enchantment, spell. From English grammar and Scottish gramarye (occult learning or scholarship).
- Middle English (Scots) gloming, from Old English glomung "twilight", from OE glom
- (or Glengarry bonnet) a brimless Scottish cap with a crease running down the crown, often with ribbons at the back. Named after the town of the clan chief Alasdair Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry (1771-1828), who invented it.
- Common sense or shrewdness.
- to babble or talk nonsense, or to dither. Scottish & North English dialect.
- A boy.
- A girl.
- Sandy, rolling ground, from Old English hlinc (ridge).
- From pernicky.
- From Scots "mingin". revolting, stinking, putrid, rancid etc
- From Gaelic plaide or simply a development of ply, to fold, giving plied then plaid after the Scots pronunciation.
- Borrowed from obsolete French poulenet (little foal) from Latin pullāmen.
- Probably from Dutch schoon.
- cloth being woven in a twilled rather than a plain pattern. from tweel
- small, tiny, minute.
See all linguistics glossaries:
Published - February 2009
glossary is available under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation
free glossaries at TranslationDirectory.com
free dictionaries at TranslationDirectory.com
to free TranslationDirectory.com newsletter
more translation jobs from translation agencies? Click
agencies are welcome to register here - Free!
translators are welcome to register here - Free!
your glossary or dictionary for publishing at TranslationDirectory.com