English words of Korean origin
the free encyclopedia,
Become a member of TranslationDirectory.com at just
$8 per month (paid per year)
Use the search bar to look for terms in all glossaries, dictionaries, articles and other resources simultaneously
Words of Korean origin have entered other languages, including English.
Words that appear in at least some English dictionaries
- from 재벌, a family-controlled industrial conglomerate in South Korea.
- from 한글, the Korean alphabet
- a wide variety of pickled, fermented vegetables
- from 기생 (妓生), female Korean entertainers 
- from Goryeo (alt. Koryo) (고려, 高麗), historic dynasty of Korea that unified the peninsula (see Names of Korea)
- from 소주 (燒酒), Korean liquor similar to Sake.
- from 태권도 (胎拳道), a globally-popular sport and martial art
Words that do not appear in dictionaries but may be well known
- from 비빔밥, white rice mixed with vegetables, beef, and chili paste
- from 초보 (初步), a novice, especially in Internet gaming
- from 고수 (高手), a person with great skill, especially in Internet gaming
- from 한탄강 (漢灘江), the Hantan River
- from 장기 (將棋), variant of Korean chess
- from 갈비, BBQ marinated beef ribs
- from 김밥, Korean rice roll.
- from 묵찌빠, a Korean variant of the game 'rock-paper-scissors'
Well Known Korean Brand Names
- from 현대 (現代), modern, also the name of a major Korean company
- from 럭키금성 (Lucky 金星), Lucky + Goldstar (also Venus), also the name of a major Korean company
- from 삼성 (三星), three stars, also the name of a major Korean company
- from 삼양 (三養), also the name of a major Korean company
- from 선경 (鮮京, Sunkyung) from 선만주단 (鮮滿綢緞, Joseon-Manchuria Silks Company) and 경도직물 (京都織物, Kyeong-do Textile Company)
- from 대우 (大宇), 'Great Universe', also the name of a major Korean company
- from 한국, Tire manufacturer - name comes from the Korean name of the country of South Korea
- ^ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chaebol
- ^ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kisaeng
- ^ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soju
See all linguistics glossaries:
Published - January 2009
glossary is available under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation
free glossaries at TranslationDirectory.com
free dictionaries at TranslationDirectory.com
to free TranslationDirectory.com newsletter
more translation jobs from translation agencies? Click
agencies are welcome to register here - Free!
translators are welcome to register here - Free!
your glossary or dictionary for publishing at TranslationDirectory.com