Chaulere Communication & PR (CCPR) is a consulting firm whose core business is to provide superior and cutting edge communication, public relations and marketing solutions to organisations and individuals. CCPR was founded and registered with the Registrar of Business Names of the Malawi Government in January 2017. The firm was entered under Business Registration Number MBRS1017592.
The founder and lead consultant, Telephorus Chigwenembe, is a communications and public relations specialist, journalist and language trainer with more than 15 years of communications work experience in different roles and capacities.
A society in which members realise individual, organisational and national goals through effective communication
To support our clients through ethical communication, public relations and marketing solutions development and capacity building.
Ethical communication - We ensure that all our work is guided by professional communication ethics, irrespective of the goals of our assignments.
Innovation - We explore novelty in the development of solutions to communication issues that our clients present to us.
Integrity - We are committed to delivering assignments with utmost trustworthiness.
1.5 About the founder and lead consultant
Telephorus Chigwenembe graduated with a Master of Arts Degree in Communication Studies from Central China Normal University in the People’s Republic of China in 2012 and with a Bachelor’s Degree in Education (Linguistics) from the University of Malawi in 2003. His master’s degree research focus was on the interface between public relations and journalism in Malawi.
Through CCPR, the lead consultant is involved in a range of communication consultancy assignments for corporations, institutions and individuals. He currently works as Public Relations Officer for the Tobacco Commission. Prior to joining the Commission, Telephorus worked for the National Oil Company of Malawi (NOCMA) Limited where he managed the company’s communications for six years (June 2015 to May, 2021). During this time, Telephorus developed systems and protocols to facilitate corporate communications, both internal and external and managed various campaigns.
Before joining NOCMA, Telephorus Chigwenembe worked as Communications and Learning Specialist for Plan International Malawi where he managed Communication and Learning for the Global Sanitation Fund programme (February, 2013 – May, 2015).
Through case studies, news stories, features and electronic media documentaries, Telephorus showcased project success stories, among others, and helped Plan International Malawi restore donor confidence vis-à-vis the management of the Global Sanitation Fund Programme. During this period, Telephorus also worked as a part-time lecturer in journalism at the Continuing Education Centre of the Malawi Polytechnic in Lilongwe.
Prior to his Master’s Degree studies (2009 – 2012), Telephorus Chigwenembe worked as Civic Education Officer for the Law Commission (five months) after a two and half year career with Zodiak Broadcasting Station where he worked as Chief Reporter and as a News Producer (November, 2006 – March, 2009). He received three national awards for excellence in journalism. His employment with Zodiak Broadcasting Station was preceded by a three year teaching assignment at Lilongwe Girls Secondary School where he taught French and English (May, 2004 – October, 2006).
2.0 CONSULTANCIES UNDERTAKEN
The following are some of the assignments accomplished both under CCPR and under Telephorus Chigwenembe:
2.1 Translation (English – Chichewa)
2.1.1 Current projects
• Translating television programme and comedy scripts for the ‘Voice of Accountability’ (Kulondoloza) for weekly telecasts since November, 2021. The ‘Voice of Accountability’ is a two-year European Union funded project on public finance management in Malawi;
• Translating public messages on developments in the tobacco industry in Malawi.
2.1.2 Completed projects
• Translation of a piece-works contract (July, 2021). Contracted by GIZ International;
• Translation of an adult literacy facilitator’s guide (June – July, 2021). Contracted by DVV International;
• Translation of an HIV disclosure story book and instruction manual (June, 2021). Contracted by Fatch Kalembo, PhD for a post-doctoral studies project;
• Translation of the National Adult Literacy and Education Policy (July, 2020). Contracted by DVV International. Number of pages involved: 32;
• Translation of a research pack for parents, the youth and questionnaire items from English to Chichewa for a PhD project (July, 2018). Contracted by Margaret Kalembo, PhD;
• Translation of a Facilitator’s Guide for an Integrated Adult Literacy Programme (February, 2018). Contracted by DVV International. Number of words involved: 17,828;
• Executed Chichewa – English simultaneous interpretation for diplomats and other expats during the 2019 presidential debates (April, 2019). Contracted by the National Democratic Institute. Duration: three days;
• Translated news bulletins and reports from English to Chichewa for Zodiak Broadcasting Station (2006 – 2009).
2.2 Communication training facilitation
• Mass Media Messaging training for Malawi Police Service Public Relations practitioners (25th April, 2019) Zomba Police Training College, Zomba;
• Public Communication training for security agencies’ Public Relations practitioners (20th – 21st April, 2019) (Training organised by Media Institute for Southern Africa and Deutchewelle Akademie), Mzuzu;
• Public Communication training for security agencies’ Public Relations practitioners (14th -15th March, 2019) (Training organised by Media Institute for Southern Africa and Deutchewelle Akademie), Blantyre;
• Public Communication training for government agencies’ Public Relations practitioners (12th -13th January, 2019) (Training organised by Media Institute for Southern Africa and Deutchewelle Akademie), Lilongwe;
• Public Communication training for security agencies’ Public Relations practitioners (14th -15th January, 2019) (Training organised by Media Institute for Southern Africa and Deutchewelle Akademie), Lilongwe;
• Facilitation of Business Communication training through a series of sessions in Lilongwe (2017 – present);
• Effective Communication training for more than 35 Malawi Police Service Public Relations Officers (February, 2017), Mangochi.
2.3 Other assignments
• Edited a newsletter for the National Council for Higher Education (December, 2021);
• Reviewed a communication strategy for the Office of the Director of Public Officers’ Declarations, May, 2019;
• Developed the Public Communication Training Manual for the Media Institute for Southern Africa and Deutchewelle Akademie (16-17th March, 2019), Blantyre;
• Reviewed journalism curricula for Media Institute for Southern Africa –Malawi Chapter’s school of journalism (2019);
• Branded the International Food Research Institute conference held in Lilongwe, Malawi (July, 2018);
• Developed, translated and narrated television and radio documentary scripts for various communication firms and agencies (2012 - 2017;
• Proofreading and editing academic research papers (ongoing);
• Edited Takulandirani, a tourism magazine published by Malawi’s Ministry of Tourism.
3 SERVICES OFFERED AT CCPR
Business and Project Communication Training
Public Relations Planning and Advisory
Communication Strategy Development
Crisis Communication Planning and Advisory
Branding (Production of banners, posters, name tags, conference name tents, calendars etc)
Advertising (radio, television and print)
Radio and Television Production
Project Documentation Services
Conference Proceedings Documentation (Rapporteur) Services
Document Proofreading and Editing
Translation (involving English, French, Tumbuka, Chichewa)
News and Feature Writing (for print and electronic media)