Directory for translators and translation agencies: receive translation jobs in your language pair!
Welcome to the world of language jobs!

Portal for Language Professionals and their Clients. 39,000+ Freelance Translators7,000+ Translation Agencies.
translation jobs
Translation Agency Registration - Free! Freelance Translator Registration - Free! Become a Member! Login to Your Account! Invite Translators - Free! FAQ Contact Us

Menu

Become a Member
  Edit Your Profile
  Ask for Free Translation
  Find Translation Jobs
  Find Rare Translation Jobs
  Find Very Rare Language Jobs
  Find Jobs in Rarest Pairs
  Read Testimonials
  Read More Testimonials
  Read Even More Testimonials
  Read Still More Testimonials
  Read Yet More Testimonials
  Upload Your Resume
  Add Your Translation Agency
  Receive All Jobs by RSS
  Work for Translation Agencies
  Post Your Translation Job
  Hire Translators-Members
  Hire All Translators
  Easily Contact Translators
  Hire Translation Agencies Members
  Contact All Translation Agencies
  Obtain Blacklisted Employers
  Read Articles (By Category)
  Read Articles (By Index)
  Read Sense-of-Life Articles
  Read Work-at-Home Articles
  Use Free Dictionaries
  Use Free Glossaries
  Use Free Photographs
  Use Free File Sharing
  Use Free Software
  Use Free Translators
  Vote in Polls for Translators
  Subscribe to Free Newsletter
  Advertise Here
  Apply to Collection Agencies
  Buy Database of Translators
  Buy Translation Agencies List
  Watch Out for Scam E-mails
  Use Resources for Translators
  Use Online Directory
  Ask Questions in Forum
  Admire God's Creations

Advertisements

Forum for Translators: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour

The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: TranslationDirectory.com (Job posting form) 23-10-2010 06:54

Dear Translator,

We are happy to announce that, based on your feedback, we have added a compulsory field into our job posting form:

“We will pay for this job: EUR per word/EUR per hour”

The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR per word or 5 EUR per hour.

We hope this will greatly improve the quality of the jobs posted at TranslationDirectory.com

If you believe this limit is too large and can decrease the number of precious jobs posted or if you have other feedback, please reply to this post (see form below).
Re: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 08:55

I think the minimum of 5€ per hour is a little low and that the minimum per word should be 0.05€ but I guess that it
depends on the other translators opinions too.

There has recently been an accusation that websites are accepting ridiculously low rates for translations, especially
ProZ.com and similar sites and that is lowering the quality of the translators, which clients often are not aware of
and also allowing people into this sector who are not real translators. Perhaps that should also be taken into consideration
as I need to teach English, for example to supplement my income as a Spanish to English translator.

Many thanks for making the effort anyway and also informing us of this change.

I also think that scammers should be listed on your website as I recently accepted a project that I only got paid for
by seeing the blue board record on ProZ.com for the Agency and threatening them with taking the matter to the UK police (they are a UK family agency). At least then we would be able to check if they are honest or not when they ask us to work for them and feel a little safer when accepting jobs.>Dear Translator,
We are happy to announce that, based on your feedback, we have added a compulsory field into our job posting form:
The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR per word or 5 EUR per hour.
We hope this will greatly improve the quality of the jobs posted at TranslationDirectory.com
If you believe this limit is too large and can decrease the number of precious jobs posted or if you have other feedback, please reply to this post (see form below).>Dear Translator,
If you believe this limit is too large and can decrease the number of precious jobs posted or if you have other feedback, please reply to this post (see form below).
Re[2]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Suzanne 23-10-2010 12:20

I cannot believe any professional European translator would accept a word rate of EUR 0.04 or an hourly rate of EUR 5!! They are ridiculously low. My cleaner earns more than twice that per hour!! I will never accept any job below EUR 0.09 per hour, and that would be my discount price for large volumes. My hourly and also my minimum rate is EUR 35. I will remove my CV from this site because I've never seen a decent paying job on it and have only heard about scams. I have plenty of well-paying work and the last thing I need is potential clients thinking I would even contemplate accepting this ridiculous rate.
Re[3]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: F. Pezzoni 23-10-2010 21:33

I cannot believe any professional European translator would accept a word rate of EUR 0.04 or an hourly rate of EUR 5!! They are ridiculously low. My cleaner earns more than twice that per hour!! I will never accept any job below EUR 0.09 per hour, and that would be my discount price for large volumes. My hourly and also my minimum rate is EUR 35. I will remove my CV from this site because I've never seen a decent paying job on it and have only heard about scams. I have plenty of well-paying work and the last thing I need is potential clients thinking I would even contemplate accepting this ridiculous rate.

I so much agree with Suzan. My cleaning lady earns almost double of this rate. How would these people pay their bills, facilities, resources, soft and hard ware, then feed and dress themselves, if they are even lucky to be living alone, without any kid or even dog at home. I really cannot understand the reason for even asking huge discounts. I don't know, I always ask (who ever asks for 50-100% discount) if they go ask their doctor to pay him just 30 Euro instead of what he asks, and so on. Any way......
Re: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Christophe 23-10-2010 09:06

Hi,
I agree with the minimum rate per source word (0,04 euros) but i disagree with with the minimum rate per hour. 5 euros is unacceptable. No one would work at this rate in Europe. It should be at least 12 euros per hours.

Regards,

Christophe
Sender: Ahmed Manzoor 23-10-2010 09:27

The minimum offered rate was a good practice started with a good intention of getting justice for all translators. But unfortunately the advertisers (mostly agencies) are taking it as a cover to hide their actual rates being offered. I have come across an ad in which the advertiser says they pay Euro 0.04 per word for the translation job but the rate mentioned in the ad is less than Euro 0.004. The advertiser has asked the translators to work for INR 0.50 which is really like insulting the translators.

I think as such advertisers should be banned from advertising on the translation directory and their ads be immediately deleted with a notice saying such and such advertiser's ad is deleted for violation of minimum pay per word.

For first instance the advertiser should be warned by the translation directory through an email and on second instance the advertiser's account be suspended for 3 month. I mean he/she should not be allowed to post any ad for 3 months at least. Third such instance may bar the advertiser permanently from posting any advertisement.

This may have a good effect and the translators will get good offers.

Hope all translator brothers and sisters will agree with me.
Re[2]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 12:13

I agree with what you say, after all both the translators, the websites, the agencies AND THE clients are involved in the prices rising. The translators by accepting such low rates and the others by offering such low rates too. Also the ban from advertising may make people aware of the abuse. Unfortunately, the cost of living is much lower in some countries and that is what also affects their rates, like Argentina where I was offered 0.01 cents per word, China is also exploiting this situation with us and India too. Another part of the NWO we are facing lately.
Sender: SB Iyer 23-10-2010 09:35

I totally agree with the Tamil translator. This is not just practicable for Indian (especially Tamil) languages. Here people start even from as low as INR 0.30 which is equal to Euro 0.005. As you had pointed out in your first message this may bring down the number of jobs. Moreover, in an anxiety to publish, some one may publish a higher rate and not pay later!
My suggestion is to make compulsory the rate one if offering (some of the ads do not contain the rate). Let it be for the translator to choose to do the job or not.
cheers
Sender: shahoney 04-11-2010 16:41

I totally agree with you.
Imposting the subjected minimum rate will affect the translation industry in poor countries.
Sender: Marwin Nilsen 23-10-2010 09:47

The per word rate is ok if a little low but the hourly rate suggested is ridiculously low. I know translators that would accept this rate but usually it is because they are bored and don't take this job seriously. A minimum of EUR 12 per hour as suggested earlier in this forum is more correct but most european translators rate at about EUR 20 per hour. Also I have to agree with the first reply that there are too many websites offering buyers cheap translations and here the buyers need to be aware. You get exactly what you pay for and most agencies charge what they need to get the job done for a proper translation with proper quality control.
Sender: Monica Silverstrand 23-10-2010 10:00

Ridiculous. Homeless people in Sweden have more money than that from the social security system.

I would never, even work for under 0.10 EUR per word or 25 EUR per hour. If I did, I would have to work 28 hours a day to make ends meet.

Stop accepting petty cash for professional services!
Let clients use monkeys if they insist on paying peanuts.
Re[3]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Kersti 23-10-2010 19:24

I agree. EUR 0.04 is ridiculously low, and EUR 5.00 per hour is even worse. On the other hand, there may be countries where that is acceptable, I suppose a lot depends on language pairs. One cannot make ends meet for that sum in Europe.
Tisk, tisk, tisk!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Vladimir Shelukhin (Cyrillite) 23-10-2010 09:54

I believe that such minimums — both! — are insulting for any decent professional wherever he or she lives, and when published in such a context would drive the trade even deeper into asshole. Such are the prices of hordes of ignorant unemployable incompetents roaming the bottomfeeder brokerage sites.
I think the absolute minimum per word rate should be at least EUR 0.07, per 55-stroke line — EUR 0.63, per hour — EUR 17.

Re: Tisk, tisk, tisk!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Marwin Nilsen 23-10-2010 10:01

I agree with you there but the problem is the large amount of translators that are all to happy to provide at a low cost. If we could get them to raise their fees it would improve the market and results for both client and translator.>>The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR per word or 5 EUR per hour.
I believe that such minimums — both! — are insulting for any decent professional wherever he or she lives, and when published in such a context would drive the trade even deeper into asshole. Such are the prices of hordes of ignorant unemployable incompetents roaming the bottomfeeder brokerage sites.
I think the absolute minimum per word rate should be at least EUR 0.07, per 55-stroke line — EUR 0.63, per hour — EUR 17.
The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Rex Joshua 23-10-2010 10:26

As a member of this directory I have found it very useful in my work. The rates suggested by you might be applicable for European languages, but here in India, especially for Tamil, I am yet to meet a client who is willing to offer more than Re.1/ word which will be about 0.016 Euro/word. So going by that trend, although we as translators wish that clients pay your proposed 0.04/euro it is far from today's reality.

Hoping for a better day
Sender: Susmith S 23-10-2010 10:51

I am a translator from India. Problem here is we translators are willing to work for less than 0.01 EURO and letting these agencies (advertisers) get away our share of money. Once we all decides to stop working for them, eventually end clients will start to come to us directly or these agencies are forced to pay us decent amount.

Please support this initiative in weeding away these third parties. Well done Translation Directory!!!
Sender: Gavin Ho 23-10-2010 10:53

0.04Euro per word is far beyound reality.0.02 is more acceptable
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 12:18

Not even worth a comment!!! If you are a client you would prefer slaves and if you are a translator you have no pride in your work!!!
Sender: Chiara Poletti 23-10-2010 11:32

I am so glad the Translation Directory made this decision. A rate of 0.04 EUR/word is barely acceptable in my opinion, but certainly better than being offered anything less than this. No one in the world should have to work for rates lower than this. I also agree with other colleagues that the hourly rates should be increased to at least 12 Euros per hour. Not only setting minimum rates is essential in order to be more respectful of our profession, but it is also essential in order to stop exploiters and to offer a professional service. Based on my experience the lower the rates the worse the customer. I think it is time to stop this downward spiral towards slavery. It is 2010 for Pete's sake! Thank you Translation Directory!

Dear Translator,
Sender: Caroline Walton (English Expert) 23-10-2010 11:42

While I appreciate that you are trying to make things easier for us, there seems to be a problem with the 'one size fits all' approach. Asian translators lose out by this minimum, while it is still way too low for me (my absolute minimum is 0.1 euro per 1,000 or £20 per hour ie about 22 euros).
Sender: Jussara 23-10-2010 11:46

I guess translationdirectory.com people have made a math mistake.
Let's supose most translators work 8 hours a day and they turn out 2,500 words per 8-hour day.
In this case, the translator will have produced 312 words per hour.
If the price per word is 0.04 EUR (which is low), then the price per hour must be 0.04X312 = 12,48.
So, the minimum price per hour SHOULD be EUR 12.48, not 5 EUR

I just tried to show you that the rates translationdirectory.com offer do not make sense.

Besides, there should be some kind of table with prices and language pairs, because, as we can see here, the translators that work with the languages spoken in India are willing to charge exceedinglt low rates, so I suggest translationdirectory.com to create a table with minimum rates for the different languages. It's obvious that this philosophy of "one price fits all" does not work around the world.
Sender: khalid Awadh khamis 23-10-2010 11:50

That's really good
Sender: Chiara Poletti 23-10-2010 12:11

I would also like to add another comment... I think the minimum rates being discussed here should be considered and indicated solely as "suggested minimum rates" in order to higher quality standard, which I believe is the purpose of this discussion. However, in essence, any translator MUST remain free and be able to accept work at any rate, being this ultimately his/her decision along with the client. I wouldn't work for anything less than indicated in the posts and I find even the thought insulting, but as some colleagues pointed out this may not be a reasonable stand everywhere. A "suggested minimum rate" with a note that any rate can be discussed with individual translators would resolve this issue, in my opinion.

Dear Translator,
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 12:23

Sorry Chiara, but that does not prevent abuse of workers by clients and agencies, rather than a suggested minimum I think it is time we stood up for our rights and fight for a minimum that is not negotiable and stop ourselves from being used as slaves.
Sender: Chiara Poletti 23-10-2010 12:58

You are right and I agree with you (see my first post, not the second one; I used almost your same exact words). A minimum is badly needed!

My second post was a suggestion in order allow the possibility for private arrangements if desired (hence the comment on the "recommended minimum rate").

Continuing on the previous path is unacceptable and I find this idea of the minimum a great and needed idea in order to increase quality and respect for professional translators. So, whatever works in achieving this goal is more than welcome!

Sorry Chiara, but that does not prevent abuse of workers by clients and agencies, rather than a suggested minimum I think it is time we stood up for our rights and fight for a minimum that is not negotiable and stop ourselves from being used as slaves.
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 23-10-2010 12:30

I think rate depends on Translation Agencies rate. Average rate of Georgian Translation Agencies is $0.02 per word and so I indicated in my data. When Tempobet.com applied to me directly I demanded much higher price that I just was receiving for last translation, but when they pointed prise indicated in my data, I agreed I was not right and begin translation as I thought for about 2-3 weeks, but it took several weeks and now I'm waiting for payment in wain. Has anyone bossiness with Tempobet.com?
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 12:54

Zurab : I have not done business with that agency but have had problems with another different agency who contacted me via this website and that is why I suggested there being a possibility for translators to create a "black list" or whatever name is suitable for agencies and clients who do not pay.
Re[4]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 23-10-2010 15:13

Thanks, I'll try soon.
Re[4]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 12-12-2010 16:50

I tried, but have not received reply from traslationDirectory
Sender: Louis Kumatoh 23-10-2010 12:55

Puff! At last, someone has thought it wise to tackle this issue. If this industry must sustain the lives of professionals that we are, this issue should be treated with all the seriousness that it deserves. It's hard to believe when one finds ads on web sites clumsily carrying such stupid rates as USD 0.01 and 0.02 for reasons of low budget especially from Asia. Usually, I take it that this job poster does not know what it takes to translate or is simply undermining the profession.

My humble prayer is that all other sites emulate this and that professionals stick to the mim. rates of EUR 0.04 per word, but hourly rate to EUR 15.

Regards,
Sender: Marwin Nilsen 23-10-2010 13:09

Is there an organization out there that takes care of translators wellbeing? I know there are organizations out there with great conventions, trips and high membership fees which you can become a member in after a ridiulous amounts of paperwork and diplomas and certifications. But what about an organization for freelancers like ourselves. Many freelancers that are excellent translators can't even become members of the big organizations because of the diploma/certification situation. And as far as I can see, no one fights for a decent pay. Maybe this should be on a different thread but still....
Sender: Ezhil 23-10-2010 13:04

Dear sir/madam

yes it is right decision to do the work
Sender: Karel 23-10-2010 13:04

Hi Serhiy, personally, I would let the markets decide what they want. There are really countries out there where people are willing to work for less, and feed their families. The fact that Europe and the west is so decadent and fat and used to being so rich inspires absolutely no sympathy from me. Are they sending money to the starving people around the world? No, they simply want to maintain their own status quo and do not like working for less. They are simply acting selfishly and receive no sympathy from me. Karel
Sender: Piotr Wodzinski (SCRIBA Translation Office) 23-10-2010 14:53

Sorry, it is not a meeting of the former communist party of the former USSR. If you believe your jobs equals the job of an unskilled street-sweeper it is your choice, not mine.
Sender: Atiquzzama Khan 23-10-2010 13:23

Hi,

It is a great to hear something like this. I thank you to take care about the rate of translators.

Since I am an Urdu translator from India, I may only dream about it, because there are so many translators who are ready to work on INR 0.35. I request all translators, please boycott all that type of providers, and never accept any job on the rate less than INR 1.00.

Regards
Sender: Vasu Valluri (IndRus Translation bureau) 23-10-2010 13:23

A great move, this one of the many steps that make you the industry leader. But some of the users are still posting jobs with lesser rates in the body text.
Sender: Barbara Bocedi 23-10-2010 13:48

I think it's correct to set a minimum rate, although I would never accept now a job paid 4 cents per word. But as somebody already stated, there is no consistency between 4 cents per word and 5 Euro per hour. This minimum hourly rate is not serious!! It should be at least 10 Euro, to round the figure off.
Anyway, thanks for this initiave.
Sender: Mikayil 23-10-2010 14:01

For those, who get slightly less than 0.04 EURO, it is great news. For those, who bid (and get) far larger amounts, this new policy doesn't mean anything (e.g. Western European countries). And for those, who have to accept far less amounts, it is catastrophic (e.g. India, China).
So in my opinion, as an intention, this policy is promising, as some clients have to understand that translators are not slaves and this job requires much energy than they comprehend.
However, as for its applicability, it will hardly work, as I become aware of the facts in India, reading one of my colleague's post. So maybe, alternatively, you can categorize countries for cost of living, from 1 to 5, and assign different minimum rates for those categories. Maybe it will be a bit time-consuming, but you will do great job for us and will be avant garde in protecting translators' rights.
Sender: Gérard LAMBERT 23-10-2010 14:04

PLEASE NOTE THAT WHAT COMES NEXT WAS WRITTEN IN AN EMAIL TO SERHIY ONOSHKO DATED OCTOBER 23, 00:41:27, SO PREVIOUSLY TO ANY THE COMMENTS ABOVE, WHICH I HAVE JUST READ.
"Hello Serhiy,
Congratulations for this move: as you write, no doubt "this will greatly improve the quality of the jobs posted at TranslationDirectory.com". What now about your minimum rates? They are very low and personally I would never take a translation paid at these levels (In France, the minimum hourly wage, supposedly paid to unskilled labour, is € 8.86), but that's my problem!
But, above all, in my opinion the two limits are not consistent: I reckon that a good translator is able to translate ±2,000 words/day, i.e. 250 words/hour, which means, using your minimum per word rate, EUR 10/hour.
Best regards.
Gérard"
ADDED RIGHT NOW:
- I may understand that due to local conditions China, India, Philippines, ... translation agencies will strongly disagree with such a minimum rate policy and that translators located in those countries are willing to work for lower rates, just to feed their families. But, as far as I know, TranslationDirectory.com is a Europe-based translation website: if some Indian or Chinese translation agencies cannot advertise any longer on this website, let somebody start a new website meeting their specific needs, the translation business will become clearer and easier for everybody.
- I agree that TranslationDirectory.com should create and manage a "black & white list" as three other well-known translation websites.
- Please, Karel, this is not the place for cheap political speeches.
Sender: SCRIBA (SCRIBA Translation Office) 23-10-2010 14:37

5 euro/hour is unacceptable. Perhaps somebody can't see a difference between a translator (e.g. legal, technical, medical etc.) and a McDonald's runner.
I don't even start thinking of a job when its rate is below 10 euro/hour.
0.04 euro/word might be acceptable for larger jobs (ca. 30 standard pages or above).
Sender: Diane McCartney 23-10-2010 14:51

I think this is a disgraceful rate. Anyone willing to post a job for this rate or to accept such a rate are insults to the industry. Only agencies that don't take themselves seriously even think of offering such rates, and translators who work for this rate should be blacklisted. Get those minimum rates up - 0,10 euro/word and 25 euro/hour. Let people know what they're paying you for. We're professionals for Pete's sake, providing a skilled service. And don't you ever forget that!
Sender: Liz Lyons 23-10-2010 14:53

These rates are insulting. If I am not mistaken, isn't the originator of Translation Directory someone who refers to a good translator being able to earn upwards of US$80,000 per annum? How would this be possible given your proposed rates? If you want to know why translators can no longer make a living wage and be given any respect, it is due to advocating practices like these. I am very disappointed in you.
Sender: Pierre 23-10-2010 14:53

I think that setting minimum rates is a mistake given the fact that we all have different costs to face.
What would be far more useful is a filtering of job offers: I have never and probably will never work for Chinese or Indian commissioners because the rates they ask for are so ridiculously low. But I do lose some time cleaning my email from their job ads, which I basically regard as spam.
Pierre (£0.07/word minimum)
Sender: Maria Gustafson (Maria Gustafson) 23-10-2010 14:57

I agree because agencies from India for example are offering USD 0.01/word and there's no professional translator who's going to work for that rate. It's shameful, absurd and lack of professionalism.
So, thank you very much for supporting us translators.
Best regards,
Maria Gustafson
Certified Translator
Simultaneous Interpreter
Hilarious!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: J Mitchell 23-10-2010 15:04

This is hilarious - 0.04 per word and 5.00 per hour?? Someone is having a laugh at our expense. If these are the proposed acceptable minimum rates then best not advertise them at all as outsourcers will take them at face value and refuse to pay the standard acceptable rates (0.10 - 0.12 and 30-40.00 per hour in Europe).

These rates make a laughing stock of our profession and I, for one, want no part in it. Better off unepmployed than working at these farcical rates.

Whose bright decision was this anyway?
Re: Hilarious!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Yasutomo Kanazawa 23-10-2010 15:15

Completely agree with J. Mitchell. I wouldn't work for this amount. These rates are hurting both the industry and the translators. They should be modified at once. The minimum rate should definitely be AT LEAST 0.10 Euros per word and 30-50 Euros per hour.
Sender: Sanjo Ogunseye 23-10-2010 15:18

This is a good step in the right direction but, not a destination just yet. I hope to see a day when translators will be paid handsomely for the immense work they put into making us communicate around the world better. I for one take my pricing seriously now and take as much as i feel will be worth my time and effort. Recently i did a review and don't intend to change it; as i now take $0.085 per word from my clients. I intend to go higher soon not lower. This work has to be worth the time we put in, it has to be especially for my language combinations which needs special latin characters thus, taking more time. Thanks for starting the revolution.
Sender: Brigitte Barlos 23-10-2010 15:20

I think EUR 0.04/USD 0.05 per word (target language) will have to be the absolute minimum for anyone to take translation jobs for European languages. Hourly rates obviously depend on the average amount of words the translator can handle and should not be quoted at all since most customers will not pay by the hour. The official criteria according to translator's organizations, such as the German BdUe, are lines or words; never hours. Also, I think it's ridiculous for a skilled translator to claim that he / she can only translate 250 words an hour. I have been in the business for 15 years and easily translate 1250 - 1500 words per hour - in excellent quality. That's what some people claim to be their daily output. If you translate a high volume per hour, say 10,000 words a day, you can make a very decent living as a translator. Recommendation: Specialize in a field, such as contract law, employment law or technical translations and market yourself to that specific target audience. You'll quickly learn the vocabulary and standard phrases and this, in turn, will increase your translation speed. Market yourself globally That's how you can be competitive without having to go down to minimum rates. At the above speeds, I make an average of USD 0.08 per word... Working 5 days a week, I make an excellent living as a translator - even in today's rough economy.
It's a great idea to put minimums out there; but get rid of your lunatic hourly rate. I agree that EUR 5.00 is below the minimum wage - even in the U.S.
Sender: ashutosh mitra 23-10-2010 15:29

the minimum rate should be 0.03 EUR per word, per hour rate is perfect
Re[5]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 16:02

The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.03 EUR / word or 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------
5Ashutosh, if you manage a computer so badly then yes, I think your rate should be low as the quality is probably low too!! Someone who is trying to make a living out of working as a translator needs to earn a decent rate. Not be a slave!
Sender: Donna Sandin 23-10-2010 15:31

I applaud you for setting a minimum rate, though it is very low, and I personally, who live in the US and have only one foreign client, would not accept any jobs at said minimum rate nor, thankfully, am I forced by circumstances to do so. But we have to start somewhere by eliminating listings for truly abominable rates.
Sender: Anati Bloch 23-10-2010 15:33

This is a great initiative, BUT, the proposed rate is too low.
We are professionals and it's time clients understand that quality costs money!
Personally, I have not gotten one job from this site, and with this low rate, I'm not sure I want one...

Respect us and our profession by upping the ante, please.
Sender: Jaquelina 23-10-2010 15:39

I am totally agree.
Sender: Rajendra Joshi 23-10-2010 16:18

Ecellent move. This will initiate value for the hardwork.
The rate is still low... but no problem, it's a new begening.

Please also take some harsh steps for Bad Pay Master agencies.
Sender: Raju Das 23-10-2010 16:47

It is a good move...
But in Indiam context, 0.04 Euro means about Rs. 2.46, which is an impossibly high rate. Nobody pays more than Re. 1 per word in India, and most translations are done in Rs. 0.50 to Re. 0.80 Range (less then.01 Euro).

So it will turn out that Indian agencies will post jobs with 0.04 Euro out of compulsion, but while assigning a job, the real rate will be determined.
Sender: Ellen 23-10-2010 16:18

I support this minimum request. I do believe that my work worth more than someone working in a fast food restaurant. Thanks for this move.
Sender: Brace Vietnam 23-10-2010 17:47

It's great to know that we are supported with the suitable price like that. I am a translator in Vietnam, and that price will help the clients have another look on the Vietnamese translator, and respect our work as well as our ability to do the translation for them in time.
Re[2]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR /               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Amy Módly 23-10-2010 16:31

The translation business is based on trust: that the translator is a certified professional; knows the rules of grammar for the target language; ideally has writing and editing skills; is intelligent and well-read. There are VERY few clients who compare the source language with the translation and appreciate what they are getting. As proofreader-editor as well as translator I've seen abominable work with sentences missing or added to the target language that have NOTHING to do with what is written in the source language. Being bilingual ≠ someone knows how to translate. It is time the profession stood up for the credit and recognition it deserves! And in most business cultures this means being duly compensated.
Sender: Malyar, Hekmatullah 23-10-2010 16:39

That is too low. You know the wage of a labor here in USA is $8 per hour, so how do you dare to price a professional and difficult job as a translation so low? I would never accept such a work with such a pay.
Regards,
Sender: Yelena 23-10-2010 17:03

Dear All, I think the minimum rate per word shall be not less than 0.04 euro. As for me I don't use any translation programs because it can lead to distortion of sentence meaning. I always use MultiTran and translate only myself and I'm proud of this. My maximum rate is 0.07 euro per word and 3000-3500 words per day. It should be noted that I translate from English to Russian and vice versa both well. My native language is Russian.

Thank you and regards,
Yelena
Sender: Blanka 23-10-2010 17:10

Well everyone, CAT tools or no CAT tools, I suggest you check out the proz rates overview. It is not perfect but at least you get a perpective. Let me tell you that 0.04 Eur per word and 5 Eur per hour are good for an absolute beginner maybe but not for a translator with experience. A tractor driver in Germany I am told by a fellow German translator asks for 25 Eur per hour.. so think on that.
Sender: Blanka 23-10-2010 17:13

Oooops, forgot to post the link, so here goes:

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates
Sender: Katrin 23-10-2010 17:50

Hi, well 0,004 Euro Cent or sth like, that is a joke! Translation is a bit more than "cut paste done". I am going to start my own business next year, going to work a freelance translator in Germany. As one of the German member already said: you have to pay the rent, insurance, dress, food.......the 0,0000000000sth rates are ridicolous.

I have to start up to 25 Euro per hour; 0,08-0,12 per word
It depends on the languages pairs and subject (economics, law, what ever). don't touch offers like that....but unfortunalty the companies in India will find a slave who works for him for nothing and a hug.

Best wishes
Sender: European Translator 23-10-2010 17:52

Hello!

Just take a look who are not comfortable with introducing rate limits in job offers: Indian and Chinese companies who say that their market requires lower prices, but the same Indian and Chinese agencies (after they have dumped us with their low quality and cheap goods and destroyed our textile, shoes etc. industries) wish to apply the same low rates for translators living in Europe or North America. The problem is that the latter translators must pay higher taxes and the living costs are also higher.
Sender: Anthony Baldwin (BaldwinLinguas.com) 23-10-2010 18:00

Here in the US, someone working at McDonald's makes US$8.50/hour.
This is roughly equivalent to EU€6.00/hour.
On that salary, they can not afford to live, without a second job.
This wage would give them c. $1350/month, but a 2 bedroom apartment costs $1000/month.
They would not have sufficient funds to pay utilities, much less eat.
It really is an insult, even to those who perform "unskilled labor".

As a highly educated, skilled professional, yes, I do believe that my work is worth significantly
more than that.

My minimum rate is US$0.09/word (c. €0.06), and, charging that, I do not even have a middle class income, according to US Standards.
Many of my colleagues in the area tell me that even this rate is far too low, and that I should be charging as much as twice that rate.
As it is, I struggle to rent a 2bdrm apartment, pay utilities, feed my child, at times when work is sporadic, as it has been for a couple of years now (before, it was always steady, and we were comfortable, although from from well-off by US standards, which, I am aware, are higher than many other countries' standards, but definitely not the highest).
Considering my education and expertise, I should make far more, but, I know that in a global market,
I have to compete against those whose cost of living is considerably less.
Nonetheless, I am a native US English speaker, educated in the US and certified to teach both
English and Spanish here, certified to interpret Portuguese in the courts, and with graduate studies in French.
I highly doubt that anyone with my qualifications is living in India or China, where they can afford to work
for US$0.03/word. As such, my rates are clearly justified.

If/when people write me offering such rate, like €0.03/word, or US$0.05/word, etc.,
it truly is an insult to my education and expertise.
They are asking me to work for wages equivalent to those of an unskilled laborer.
Even if/when I have no work, I refuse on principle.
I will go back to teaching before I insult myself, my profession, and my colleagues by whoring myself
out for such rates.
Sender: Irmgard Gassmann (Neerlandica-vertalingen) 23-10-2010 18:25

I don't think that anyone in Europe can be a good translator for 5 € per hour.
If this is the price it would be even better to take a job as a cleaning lady (with no search and no difficulties at all -she takes 10 € per hour, mostly without any taxes).
I like my job, I like the search for the most perfect translation for all my topics - but good work has a price.
So I think that that the minimum just here in Europe has to be 6 cent and something about 15 € per hour - minimum.
Sender: Matthias 23-10-2010 18:39

0.04 EUR per word does definitely not correspond to 5 EUR (=125 words x 0.04 EUR)per hour.

The legal minimum wage is EUR 8.86 in France, in Germany it will hopefully be EUR 7.50 soon, and in Las Vegas $5.00, just to mention a few examples.

However, if translators are excepted to hold at least a Bachelor's degree, it is not acceptable if they are paid below their regional minimum wage. A university study is not something just for fun, you know. In the US, the average graduate income is $40,000.00 in the first year.

With EUR 0.04 or $0.05 you can do 800,000 words annually to earn $40,000.00, which equals a workload of 3000 words per working day if you never take a summer break in your life.

Posting minimum fees are finally contraproductive, as they suggest translators would be prepared to work for EUR 5 per hour or EUR 0.04 in Europe, and every translation agency knows the market prices.
Sender: svetlana 23-10-2010 19:49

I think, the minimum rate you've proudly announced is a disgrace. The national minimum wage in the UK is £5.80 per hour (not euros!), for the most unqualified jobs, like cleaners. Again, cleaners for private clients charge no less than £8 per hour.

Sorry for my strong language, but I would like to see an interpreter, not some person who think they are interpreters, happy with your rate. As far as I am concerned, everybody can do the work for whatever rate they wish, even for free, but please, it was too much to read the message, cheerfully announcing this so called rate of yours. I live in London from 2000, and in Lithuania you wouldn't find an interpreter who would do the job for less than $20 per hour (consecutive interpretation). My rate in Lithuania in 1999 was £0.05 per word. Why would I work now for less?

All the best to everybody who work for them remarkable minimum rates suggested by you!

Svetlana, MA, 20 years of work as an interpreter/translator, books including.
Sender: Ashok V. Patwardhan (Ashok Patwardhan's Agency.) 23-10-2010 20:00

This rule will adversely affect the prospects of the translators in under-developed countries, who can afford to work at rates lower than that and make work scarce for them, in comparison to their counterparts in developed countries.

It will also be a death-nail to the Translators of Indian regional languages, living in India and needing jobs in the Indian regional languages in pair with English or any Indian language since such jobs are undertaken at rates like USD 0.005 (INR -Rs.-0.50 ) per word in bulk.

I'm running an agency in Pune (mah. India ) and therefore should know.
Sender: swisstell 23-10-2010 21:03

glad you decided to do something about those ridiculous rates of as low as 1 cent, seen mostly from places like India.
Sender: ka 23-10-2010 21:19

I am sorry for my mistake, I am new on this list and I didn't know the real rate for the translation job, I will correct my error. Scusate di nuovo. Cordiali saluti a tutti i signori traduttori
Sender: Cristina Lopez de Gerez 23-10-2010 21:20

Setting a minimum offer is really a good initiative. Although 0.04 is very low.
A translator is a professional worker. So, the minimum should be not lower than 0,06/word and 15 per hour.
Thanks to consider a revision.
Dear Translator,
Sender: Leonardo Lamarche 23-10-2010 21:48

Dear sirs,
I agree entirely with Eileen Brophy. The minimum rate should be €0.05 per word, and the rate of €5.00 per hour is unacceptable.
I also agree with Eileen in her comment concerning the translation market. There are too many freelance pirates making dirty harm to us. Real and good translators are professionals, and as professionals we do act for a better market, providing a proper translation quality for agencies and final clients.
Best regards,
Leonardo
Sender: Eileen Brophy 23-10-2010 23:07

Hi Leonardo, One thing I do find rather frustrating is, for example, that in the UK translators are paid 0.07€ but UK agencies offer much lower rates to other European Countries Translators and there is not such a big difference in the cost of living between the UK and other countries in Europe.
Sender: Nigelli 24-10-2010 01:47

I think it's great to set a minimum rate, and the rate of 0.04 EUR / word is acceptable (although not a well paid one) in China where I live. But the rate of 5 EUR / hour is too low. Generally, a translator can translate 200-300 words per hour, the minimum hourly rate should at least be 8 EUR, and I think 10 EUR is reasnable. In addition, many agencies would ask the translator to lower his/her rate due to a long-term relationship, actually there is no futrue jobs. Most important, the tanslator should bear in mind his own lowest rate, and does not translate projects at a too low rate.
Sender: Katrin 24-10-2010 07:58

Heya, I think it depends WHERE you live. Western translator have higher living costs (even there is a big difference between Scandinavia and Greece). =0,04 can be acceptable for chinese translaotrs but not to us here in Europe. Its an insult. We studied hard for it.

What we are doing here in that forum ,we appologize to make money. ,,Well 0,004 Euro cent can be ok, or may be its too high....." bla bla. Hello, we are workers, freelancer, we have more costs than the others. We want to live from it, we take it serious. Its not a hobby for me....so lets stopp to discuss about it!:)

Best wishes from Germany
Sender: Yunas 24-10-2010 03:09

Awesome move! Put the dignity back into translation market. Don't make those Indian and Chinese agencies destroy us..
Sender: Jussara 24-10-2010 03:36

Lately I've seen some ads that say they're in the US, but the IP shows they're in India. It's a shame.
Sender: DrJBS 24-10-2010 06:32

The rate may be applicable in European countries, USA, Canada, Australia, NewZealand and other developed countries.In countries like India, it is still a far cry from reality. The Outsourcing agencies are reluctant to pay even Rs.1/- per target English word for translations from German and French, and the payments are delayed for months! It is time to blacklist such companies.To compete with other outsourcers in grabbing translation jobs,the rate often comes down to the translators.
Sender: Andrew Weston (Eastern Linguistics) 24-10-2010 06:51

Thank you for this consideration to translators.

In general, this is a good move and many translators will be better off for it; however, there are two points needing consideration here:

1) Translators ought to be able to have the freedom to choose their own projects, including ones offered at a low rate of pay. If the pay rate is too low, we can simply choose not to follow up that job or project. I personally have no argument with clients advertising low-rate projects here, but they will not get any business from me.

2) Some clients with limited budgets, such as charitable organisations, sometimes genuinely look for pro bono translations for small, worthwhile projects. Translators need the option to be able to see these types of jobs on offer as well.

Best regards and respect to all.

Sender: Nicolae Stanciu 24-10-2010 08:28

TRanslation is a difficult job. This price is too small!
Sender: Korean translator 24-10-2010 12:54

I live in Australia and the minimum pay per hour is $15ish. I sometimes take general admistrative works from my university, and I get paid more than $25 per hour.

5 euro can be roughly converted into AU$6(in fact it's less than that), and even the lowest cash-paid workers in Australia wouldn't get lower than AU$9 per hour.

So basically you're compromising both the quality of translation and the trust of clients.

I charge minimum AU$35 for basic certificates with templates, and AU$20 per 100 source words(Eng->Kor). For technical texts, I charge more than that depending on the contents of text.

You're stepping backward, not forward. The lower the rate, the lower the quality.
Who needs it!?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Wojtek (Wojtek's Blog) 24-10-2010 15:49

The only effect of this change will be less jobs offered. An employer that can only offer .03 p/w will just look elsewhere for a translator. I don't see any disadvantage of working for .03 if the alternative is not working for .04
Maybe I'm just too liberal in my approach.
Best
Wojtek
Sender: Daniela Gigante 24-10-2010 16:27

These are rates for not professional translators (no VAT registration), for people who don't pay taxes and social security contributions. These people might not be considered professional translator but amateurs
Sender: Jussara 24-10-2010 16:31

These are rates for not professional translators (no VAT registration), for people who don't pay taxes and social security contributions. These people might not be considered professional translator but amateurs

Here's a good idea! This site could create two price tables:
1) Amateur translation (cheaper)
2) Professional translation (higher prices)
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 25-10-2010 04:43

Such are Georgian regulations for freelance translators: I am registered and not pay VAT and any taxes as,low income for taxation.
Sender: Irina 24-10-2010 17:51

The minimum rate per word schould be not less than 0.05 Euro and the minimum rate per hour should be not less than 10 Euro!!!
Sender: MELONG JUSTIN 24-10-2010 19:40

Setting a minimum rate is a welcome initiative, but I think 0.04 EUR/source word and 5 EUR/hour is a catechist salary. Even my house girl earns almost somthing similar to that amount. I believe translators should be able to live with dignity by exercising their profession. We have no other profession than doing freelance. Please, let us raise our standard higher than that, else we will be seriously marginalized. I propose a minimum of 0.06 EUR/source word and 8 EUR per hour. This rate, to me, sounds reasonnable.

I however appreciate this initiative and I challenge all other translators' settings to do same.
More greeze to your elbow.

MELONG JUSTN
Certified Translator/Reviser
Tel.: +23777465853
Sender: Deborah Freire 24-10-2010 19:57

Dear Translation Directory,

Wise move on your part. No doubt Asian agencies will be uncomfortable with such requirement for they operate basis rates acceptable only to inexperienced non-professional translators who don't have to live on EURO 0.01/word rates.

This means that professional translators like myself will now respond to Translation Directory's job posts, thus giving your website an edge over its competitors, and the market in general a new boost.

Congratulations!
Sender: shrunkenbanana 24-10-2010 21:44

Love the bottomrock comment: does people know if we do things right, rewards do crop up? I have a gut feeling they do; and I think they did in my case, but not in Euros; rupees or rubles. Otherwise, we really might get bottomrocks, I did something disfaithful, and I had my dues.

Thanks, bottomrock, for the remark, know you're there, and I know I'll behave too.
Sender: Eddie O'Neil - Translations for Induistry (Translations for Industry) 25-10-2010 09:30

LONG overdue and very welcome..let's hope all the rest follow suit. If clients and agencies have problems paying this rate - then they don't deserve the business. I truly hope all your translators out there keep to this level - if not higher !!
Sender: nata yarova 25-10-2010 09:42

I agree that it must have been done long ago, the prices offered by job posters are humiliating...but I won't take up one for 5 euro either...Let them try machine translation and then try to figure out where is head and where is tail in their "projects"...
To become a proffessional translator takes much time and effort and deserves a better pay. Anyways, thank you for an effort. Though for this price you can't hope to get a professional, sorry...students, may be. Good luck.
Sender: Valeria Lattanzi 25-10-2010 10:42

Dear TranslationDirectory,
I disagree with your minimum rates. Personally I would not work for less than 0.05 Euro per word (and that is already quite low considering taxes in Italy).
And the hourly charge should be not less than 20 Euro per hour as we are qualified professionals.
Kind regards
Sender: Penny Lei 25-10-2010 14:28

Setting minimum rate is supposed to be a good move yet 0.04 EUR/5 EUR are still ridiculously low rates that don't do any good to the current situation at all. We, professional translators, spent tremendous amount of time and efforts before attaining the professional qualification, undoubtedly deserve way better than these humiliating & disrespectful rates. For Hong Kong/Macau living standard, 1.0 EUR per word would not be considered as a very attractive deal, not to mention 0.04 EUR. I was pretty discouraged and quit searching jobs from translation directory recently, as a consequence. Thank you!
Sender: TranslationDirectory.com 25-10-2010 15:00

Dear Translators,

We cordially thank you all for your valuable feedback - we really appreciate your taking time to submit your thoughts.

Please let us clarify several things:

1) 0.04 EUR/word is the starting rate NOT ONLY FOR TRANSLATION, but also for the PROOFREADING and other jobs paid per word.

2) 5 EUR/hour is the bottom rate for all jobs, calculated per hour, not only for qualified translations or interpreting.

We accept job postings for other freelance opportunities as well, including low-qualified jobs, like websites evaluation, data collection etc. Some students and other poor people worldwide are happy to get such jobs.

3) We appreciate your suggestions to somehow differentiate job postings targeted for poor countries from postings targeted for rich countries, but we must say currently this seems rather complicated technically to be implemented.

4) We have also integrated the rate offered by the outsourcer into the subject of the job notification - that should help you decide whether it is worth for you to visit the page to see the full job announcement.

That way you may save your time by simply deleting the e-mails with announcements for the postings with the rates below your minimum.
Sender: brightlight4 25-10-2010 21:32

I have just received an email offering work for a 10€ per word rate. When I opened the email, I was told to ignore the rate!! They said they had to put a rate on their offer so they had put 10€ but that was not what they were offering, nor did they say what they were offering. Where did it go? Right, straight into the trash!!
Sender: Barbara Bocedi 26-10-2010 07:38

in reply to brighlight4, I have received that offer too. I know it sounds crazy that they told us to ignore the rate, but at least they asked us to specify our own rate. I prefer this than any other agency that imposes rates on us.
Sender: brightlight4 26-10-2010 13:00

Barbara Bocedi, they are imposing rates on us by accepting the lowest rates after telling us to ignore the rate they are offering!! I think that these emails should not be published but eliminated at source by the website!!
Re[5]: The minimum offered for translators is set to 0.04 EUR / word or 5 EUR / hour               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Willsdroom 26-10-2010 15:05

I got this e-mail to, and it went straight into the garbage as well.
As soon as I see that a jobs originates in China, India I normally delete them. Sometimes I accept, if they offer a decent rate, but ask a partial payment in advance. If I don't hear back from them, it still goes in the garbage. I rather have less income, than working for little to nothing
Sender: Stanislav 26-10-2010 11:21

Just how long are we going to work for peanuts? Five euros per hour? You must be kidding! Even students in Tesco get paid more than this!
Sender: Iuliana Bozkurt 26-10-2010 11:37

Hello,
your initiative is very good but, like my other colleagues, I think that EUR 5.00/hour is waaaaaaay too low! It should be at least EUR 10.00/hour. Personally, I reject offers below EUR 15.00/hour, as this is a waste of time, since I can translate approx. 400 words per hour (in my fields of specialization), which means approx. EUR 16.00/hour.
Anyway, the per word rate is OK, although in Western Europe this standard is, again, too low. But for Romania, for example, it is fine.
Great idea!
Sender: Willsdroom 26-10-2010 14:08

Hello, I think the offered rate is not enough. We all offer a service, that is a skilled profession. 5 Euro per hour is to me an insult. I get paid $ 40.00 per hour, when companies need me.

Normally I translate between 250 and 300 words, depending on the subject matter, per hour. 300 x € 0.04 = € 12.00, is what is offered here as a minimum.
My normal rate is € 0.08, which gives me an hourly rate of € 24.00.
This is gross, because all my costs are coming out of this.

I don't know who came up with 5 Euro per hour, but this is a minimum that to me is unacceptable.

Also the statement that a file is large, and therefore you have to translate it for a smaller fee, because the amount would make up for it, is ridicules. The amount of time you need to translate the file is not less, but increases.

Translators should start refusing jobs and be not afraid of getting no work, if they don't accept the offered low fee.
We are freelancers and make our own income.

Kind regards,

Will
Sender: JF Bonnabel 26-10-2010 15:24

I will add my voice to the professionals you were shocked by this. 5 EUR an hour is not even the minimum wave in Europe or America for some unskilled job. Before establishing as translators, we passed degrees, we specialized in professional domains to be able to be competitive and meet the industry requirements. Our expertise deserves more than 0,04 EUR / word or 5 EUR an hour (before tax!).
As a translators' website, you should be more aware of promoting fare rates instead of giving arguments to those you offer insulting pay.
12 - 15 EUR an hour is a minimum in a civilized world!
I will never accept jobs on this site with such poor consideration of professionalism.
Yours!
Sender: stefanie 27-10-2010 04:45

Seeing how some of you write English and use grammar, I am thinking that those rates are overpaying you!
Sender: Gérard LAMBERT 27-10-2010 07:45

Seeing how some of you write English and use grammar, I am thinking that those rates are overpaying you!
Stefanie, this comment of yours is not very fair: maybe these translators who write a not so good English actually are ES>FR or DE>PT translators! Over the years English has become some kind of international lingua franca with all the related drawbacks, you cannot help it.
Sender: brightlight4 27-10-2010 13:00

Stefanie, that has crossed my mind a few times reading the comments, like there for their or bye for buy, etc., no wonder the rates are low!! But having said that, those who accept low rates can't have Social Security Health Cover, Pensions, etc. Anyone has thought about what they will do when they can no longer work with such low prices!!
Sender: Willsdroom 27-10-2010 15:06

Well Stefanie, You must sit on a High horse to judge comments that are made here. I agree with Gérard about the languages people translate. Given the fact that not every translator is native English, and that most of us write in anger.
Do you charge an interest for every day of payment delay?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: TranslationDirectory.com 28-10-2010 13:08

Dear Translators,

Thank you for participating in this topic.

We would like to invite you to also post your comments in the following theme:

http://www.translationdirectory.com/forum/messages/?622
Re: Do you charge an interest for every day of payment delay?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Dr.JBS 28-10-2010 15:06

Charging interest for delayed payment!!! Are you kidding? At least let them pay for the translations carried out in time after a 30 or 45 days' delay. This is what they write in their PO but payment keeps pending for months on end.It looks as if they are doing a big favor to the translators when they release some money after a delay.In the present situation in India, there are more mushroom translation agencies and cheaters in the field than organizations paying their translators in time. Much needs to be done.
Re[2]: Do you charge an interest for every day of payment delay?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: TranslationDirectory.com 28-10-2010 15:11

Dear Dr.JBS,

Please kindly repost your comment in the relevant topic:

Thank you!
Re[3]: Do you charge an interest for every day of payment delay?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: DrJBS 28-10-2010 15:50

My comment is in relation to the payment delay to the translators and I think they are appropriate >Dear Dr.JBS,
Please kindly re-post your comment in the relevant topic:
Thank you!
Sender: Pinelopi Ntokmetzioglou 28-10-2010 15:30

Hello,
I would like to applaud your efforts to set minimum rates. It is more than
anyone else has done for freelance translators.
However, you need to find a way to monitor that this is adhered to by your job
posters, i.e. that they don't just put any figure in the required rate field and
then quote something else in the body of the job advertisement.
Here is a job ad just published with the title "Looking for freelancers, we will
pay 0.10 EUR per word: Job 00009493"
But in the main body of the ad: "Please ignore the rates. I just put in a random
value because it was a required field".
If the above keeps happening - and it will if there is no monitoring of job
posters and ads - then your efforts are all in vain and we are not any better
off as we are lured to job ads offering high rates only to find out that this is
not the case at all!
Kind regards,
Pinelopi Ntokmetzioglou
Sender: Gérard LAMBERT 30-10-2010 22:57

You started an enormous blog discussion by announcing that from now on you would impose a EUR 0.04/word minimum rate for all job offers on your website: many translators found this minimum ridiculously low, other ones found it too high.
And what do I see now? The #9622 job poster offers EUR 0.035/word and he went quietly through your supposed screening. What was the point of starting all this debate if you cannot enforce your fresh rules?
Sender: Gérard LAMBERT 30-10-2010 23:15

You started an enormous blog discussion by announcing that from now on you would impose a EUR 0.04/word minimum rate for all job offers on your website: many translators found this minimum ridiculously low, other ones found it too high.
And what do I see now? The #9622 job poster offers EUR 0.035/word and he went quietly through your supposed screening. What was the point of starting all this debate if you cannot enforce your fresh rules?
SORRY!I read too fast: the job poster offers EUR 0.35/word! Who can believe this? And what does that mean? It means that from now the low rate outsourcers will evade your new rule by stating ANY rate and the loss of time spent screening the job offers will be worse than before: you missed the target!
Sender: Barbara Bocedi 01-11-2010 10:39

at this point I also believe it's even worse. These people cannot be taken seriously, they just state a price per word randomly. It doesn't make sense at all....
Sender: shahoney 04-11-2010 16:35

This is not practical for Agencies who are based in Poor Countries.
How about them? They can't afford the suggested minimum rate.

Let the translators decide if they want to take the job offer or not.
If they find the rate unacceptable then "NO STRESS" JUST IGNORE IT.
No need to set minimum rate.

I believe it will decrease job offer for translators for outsourcing.

More so,the reason why agencies based in Poor Countries choose Translation Directory compared to other Translators outsourcing website is it because "No minimum rate is set."

Please do consider those agencies who are based in Poor Countries.
Sender: etale 07-11-2010 18:43

If you fix a minimum price to be applied between translators and agencies, then you must fix a maximum price to be applied between these agencies and the final client. Can you control this?
The agencies in Europe and the United States will make a killing by paying such ridiculous rates to the translators and charging as usual or even more to the final clients.
Sender: Umakant 12-11-2010 16:37

Remuneration column must be deleted as commercial as highly confidential between translators & company so it must be secret.
Sender: Minnna 17-11-2010 09:57

If you live in Afrika, Asia, Eastern Europe, this minimum rate is too high - there you can not find easily who will pay you more, because of lower living standard.
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 17-11-2010 17:21

Certainly, but some translators I think live in Europe themselves I think and they want to make living. So it results in two different prices.
Sender: translator74621591 12-12-2010 14:37

Why do Western translators work for emerging economy agencies for $0.02 and then complain that they want to be paid $0.12 by western agencies. The issue is, clients will find out that they can have things cheap in India when Indian / Chinese / South American outsourcers put pressure on translators and exploit them like slaves, obviously enjoying the humiliation as they apparently hate the US and Europe.
Western translators should stop being so naive believing they would do a good service "helping" emerging economies and bringing social justice when they support emerging economy agencies for peanuts while destroying prices at home by supporting foreign competition.
-----
The minimum fee system does not work. Outsourcers seem to believe that a minimum EUR 0.04 is a basis for further negotiation. The translation outsourcers are constantly haggling, and they are enjoying being destructive in any case that a translator is brave enough to defend him-/herself.
----
Translationdirectory is being inconsequent, in such as they are announcing "proudly" a minimum fee but then do not care about the fact that that the bottom line has been transgressed quickly and openly as in the job posting below.
Translationdirectory have not even listened to the arguments that translators brought against the silliness of choosing EUR 0.04 per word / 5 per hour.
-----
Translators required - German: Job 00010360

Source language(s): English
Target language(s): German

Details of the project: Hi,

I'm in urgent need for German translators. I've almost around 10,000 words that needs to be translated in 5 days (that includes this weekend). In case you are not available on the weekend, you'll have just 3 days to complete the work.

I don't mind having more than 1 translator work on this, so no matter what your capacity is you can apply.

The rate I can offer is 2 cents a word. This is max I can offer, so please apply only if you can agree to work at this rate.

We will pay for this job 5 EUR per hour

Who can apply: Freelancers and agencies

Deadline for applying: 12/15/2010

Delete this ad from the site after the deadline for applying

Rebecca Thachil
Atlantis
India
rebecca.thachil at gmail.com
www.atlantis-group.us
IP: 111.119.209.204 (Mumbai, India)
Posted on Friday, 10 Dec 2010, 13:41:13
Sender: brightlight4 12-12-2010 19:04

I don't even consider such messages, it is downright insulting. First of all, when it is urgent I charge more for the stress of having to work so quickly and more so when it is a weekend too!! These sort of messages should simply not be contemplated. I agree with the writer of the message, all this achieves is a reduction in European/Western translators prices and our cost of living cannot be compared with other countries like India, China, etc.
Sender: Akos Fehervary (FOOD-ITAS webpage) 30-11-2010 15:10

Dear Sir/Madam,

we are a Hungarian translator company working with native speaking translators. Our best rate is 0.035 €/word.

Kind regards,
Akos Fehervary
info@fooditas.hu
Sender: cchapell 06-01-2011 13:30

Hello,

The idea of a minimal rate is good... (even if the hour rate is far too low).

but was it really worth to do that, since we face now a lot of "fake" ads ?

Advertisers are obliged to write that they will offer you at least 0.04€/source word, even if it is not true !
Once you’ve applied, you discover that their rate are far lower than the rate they advertised,
and moreover, we, translators, have wasted our time in applying, since we finally do not accept such underpaid jobs...

A minimal rate would be useful if the website (or another control authority) could ban these agencies which do not respect this min. rate.
Or if someone could oblige these agencies to offer at least the rate they're advertising.

Unfortunately, that is not (yet) the case...
Sender: Zurab Pavlenishvili 06-01-2011 15:05

Every rate needs payment and as here, at Georgia PayPal payment is impossible and most payers don't pay with moneybooker.com, payment is merely impossible. Some advice to create fake PayPal accounts, but I don't think it is good way. So, any possibility of payment I think is more important, then rate.
Sender: Stephan Philipp 21-07-2011 09:02

Honestly - this is still absolutely ridiculous!

At least for people working in countries, where every cleaning women earns more...
Re[2]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate is set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: WTF 19-05-2013 08:19

As far as I know, the average professional Indian translator works for about 0.06 EUR per word. Isn't it about time the minimum rate was set to 0.06 EUR per word to stop all the dumping that is going on here?
Re[3]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate is set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Liz Lyons 19-05-2013 11:04

Why don't you all just work for free? These ridiculous prices have transferred massive wealth to huge corporations on the backs of the ordinary and hard working people. I see no reason why it should stop, given that you have all conceded so much ground. Just work for nothing and take the begging bowl to the side of the road.
Re[4]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate is set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen 19-05-2013 14:39

Why don't you all just work for free? These ridiculous prices have transferred massive wealth to huge corporations on the backs of the ordinary and hard working people. I see no reason why it should stop, given that you have all conceded so much ground. Just work for nothing and take the begging bowl to the side of the road.

Liz, I do not see why you have to be so rude, after all, these people who accept such low rates are only trying to survive in a society where people are willing to exploit anyone to get the work done. If you have to choose between starving and work, what would you do? I was offered a job in Argentina at 0.02€ per word, which I didn't even bother to answer, but there are those who would accept such a ridiculous rate if they need to survive!! Try using a little more tact and respect please!!
Isn't it about time that the minimum rate is set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen 19-05-2013 14:43

Yes, the minimum rate should be set at 0.06€ or even 0.07€ but you know perfectly well that a low rate is often much more important to those looking for a translator than the quality, God only knows why, but that is often the way things are in this crazy society of ours!!
Re: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate was set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: CF 19-05-2013 15:29

0.06 EUR is actually the lowest rate. Translators should stop accepting jobs under this rate. The agencies that impose rates like 0.02 EUR - 0.06 EUR are just dumping. This should be stopped. Ignore excuses and lies like... "Oh, we are an Indian agency and we cannot pay more". I know plenty of Indian translators who earn 0.12 EUR and above. Say no to these bottom feeders and they will eventually disappear from the market.
Re[2]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate was set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Eileen 19-05-2013 15:42

Tell that to those who don't know it!!

Thank you for publishing that information at least those who use
this site will see the information, I just wonder who will register
on websites with a low income because of low rates offered.
Re[3]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate was set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Deixis 14-06-2013 06:28

Hey guys,

I'm glad that I have found this forum where we can share our troubles. I would like to share with you the latest blow to my translator's expertise, ego and my (already) thinning pockets: I was offered a "long-term" rate of 0.03 EUR for medical translation. Can you believe it? I sure don't!

Cheers!
Re[4]: Isn't it about time that the minimum rate was set to 0.06 EUR?               [Reply to this message]
Sender: WFT 14-06-2013 08:46

Wow, even more than I was offered. An Indian agency offered me $0.02 per word for medical texts. I sure told him where to go. The problem is that these ridiculous job offers are being advertised here too. These dishonest agencies advertise that they are offering more than 0.05 EUR per word, but as soon as you contact them, they decrease the price to lower than $0.02 per word.

When an Indian asks me what my best rate is, I give him or her my BEST rate, not the most ridiculous rate he or she wants.

Search forum and the rest of TranslationDirectory.com:

Free Newsletter

Subscribe to our free newsletter to receive updates from us:

New at the Forum

New Free Articles

# 2488
Rosetta Stone and Translation Rates

# 2467
Translation - an Ageless Profession

# 2466
Have Language, Will Travel

# 2486
Почему так мало хороших переводов и хороших переводчиков?

# 2479
Average monthly wage in different European countries

# 2487
Two New Chinese Translations of Hamlet Introduced and Compared

# 2475
Linguistic history of the Indian subcontinent

# 2474
Languages with official status in India

# 2251
The Database: Your Most Valuable Asset!

More articles
More articles for translators

Vote in Polls

All Polls:
Polls on all topics

Christian Polls:
Polls on Christian topics

Financial Polls:
Polls on Financial topics

Polls for Freelancers:

Poll # 104
Have you obtained at least one new client through your facebook account?

Poll # 100
What is the worst time-waster?

Poll # 099
If you work at a laptop, do you usually use touchpad or mouse?

Poll # 094
If you run a translation agency, do you ever outsource / subcontract your projects to other translation agencies?

Poll # 090
What do you like the most about TranslationDirectory.com?

Poll # 088
Which translation portal emails you the largest number of job notifications?

Poll # 087
Which one of the following sites has the most appealing color scheme?

Poll # 085
Do you charge a fine (interest) fee for every day of payment delay?

Poll # 083
Do you have licensed SDL Trados software installed at your computer?

Poll # 079
Have you always dreamt to become a translator?

Poll # 078
Do you plan to be a freelance translator for the rest of your life?

Poll # 077
Is it necessary to learn translation theory in order to become a good translator?

Poll # 076
Will human translation be entirely replaced by machine translation in the future?

Poll # 074
Do you have savings?

Poll # 065
Do you know that the Bible is the most popular book in the world?

Poll # 063
What is the purpose of your life?

Poll # 059
How many hours per night do you sleep (in average)?

More polls
More polls for freelancers

christianity portal
hotel directory

Copyright © 2003-2024 by TranslationDirectory.com
Legal Disclaimer
Site Map