Directory for translators and translation agencies: receive translation jobs in your language pair!
Welcome to the world of language jobs!

Portal for Language Professionals and their Clients. 39,000+ Freelance Translators7,000+ Translation Agencies.
translation jobs
Translation Agency Registration - Free! Freelance Translator Registration - Free! Become a Member! Login to Your Account! Invite Translators - Free! FAQ Contact Us

Menu

Become a Member
  Edit Your Profile
  Ask for Free Translation
  Find Translation Jobs
  Find Rare Translation Jobs
  Find Very Rare Language Jobs
  Find Jobs in Rarest Pairs
  Read Testimonials
  Read More Testimonials
  Read Even More Testimonials
  Read Still More Testimonials
  Read Yet More Testimonials
  Upload Your Resume
  Add Your Translation Agency
  Receive All Jobs by RSS
  Work for Translation Agencies
  Post Your Translation Job
  Hire Translators-Members
  Hire All Translators
  Easily Contact Translators
  Hire Translation Agencies Members
  Contact All Translation Agencies
  Obtain Blacklisted Employers
  Read Articles (By Category)
  Read Articles (By Index)
  Read Sense-of-Life Articles
  Read Work-at-Home Articles
  Use Free Dictionaries
  Use Free Glossaries
  Use Free Photographs
  Use Free File Sharing
  Use Free Software
  Use Free Translators
  Vote in Polls for Translators
  Subscribe to Free Newsletter
  Advertise Here
  Apply to Collection Agencies
  Buy Database of Translators
  Buy Translation Agencies List
  Watch Out for Scam E-mails
  Use Resources for Translators
  Use Online Directory
  Ask Questions in Forum
  Admire God's Creations

Advertisements

Forum for Translators: scam

scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: D.STEPHANY 12-08-2008 11:00

Fellow freelancers,
Watch out for the following scam: someone (called "maria brown" in my case)offers you 2/3 mths'work."She" is based somewhere in West Africa. She E-mails you an initial 1700 wds, tells you the project is in fact 10,000 wds,and when you ask for guarantees of payment, "she" offers to pay the whole lot upfront via a rather complicated system of cashier's cheque+western union. You receive a cheque for...£3,000, from the US, + an apology for the overpayment backed by some unconvincing explanation. You are then told you should bank the cheque and pay them back the difference, to some guy in Cotonou (Rep. of Benin), via ..Western Union (untraceable). The cheque is obviously a dud and if you have sent them "their" money before your bank finds out and lets you know, you have lost £2,600!!!
The dud cheques are meant to come from the Norwich Union, I have spoken to them and they say it has already happened quite a few times. So keep well clear of unidentified/untraceable "clients" and stick to well-established bona fide agencies or companies.
Scam!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: TranslationDirectory.com 15-08-2008 10:00

Indeed, Maria Brown sounded like a very suspicious person.

We have received several reports about her offers.

Do not accept anything from her!
Re: Scam!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Nadine 22-08-2008 19:13

I have been in contact with the So-Called Maria Brown
Below are the communications I exchanged with Maria Brown, read from the bottom.
What can we do to stop here?
Today she stated scaming GoTranslators database

Maria Subject : GoTranslators - Translator needed (URGENT REPLY ) !!!
My name is maria brown ,Am spaniard women am really from PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND CANADA but am in West coast africa for now i was giving contract to translate a project from English to french and the contract will last two to three month to be precise and i will like to know if you are capable and available of translating the project what is your charges for the translation ....I will be waiting to hear from you soon as possible.........Best Regard,
maria

Nadine 8/15/2008
Hi Maria,
Thank you for following up with me.
I still haven't receive neither the CD nor anything else you told me.
I am starting to beleive you are not for real. Fisrt you have never provided me with any information about you and it seems very wierd to me that you want me to beleive that you are sending payment for a job I did not do and I am suppose to send you some payment after that?
Stop wasting my time.
Good luck!
Maria 8/14/2008
Hello how you doing ? I was wondering what happened that i didnt heard from you lately Hope every thing is alright with you over there? i will like to know if you have receive the payment my client has already mail it out to you and am.
The client name Kim Fadee sure you have receive it by now, Kindly let me know as soon as you receive it so that i can able to provide you the information to help me transfer the remain money to for my Air courier fees after decducting my charges ,, hope you having a lovely weekend over there ... Hope to read from you soon.

Maria 8/11/2008
Thanks for the response, I want the portion sent to you to be translated and format it into a diskette / floppy / dvd ..You will keep it , Courier will be directed to your address for pick up once courier pick the diskette from you will deliver the rest of the project to you .. Hope i make myself clear to you ...
I sent her and invite to messenger, she never accepted it nor show up
Maria 8/08/2008
I have a messenger. Let's chat. The address is maria.brown6311@yahoo.com
Nadine 8/08/2008
Maria,
I am very confused about what you need from me. I shared all my contact information with you and you have never told me what company you are representing. Please give a phone number where we can discuss about this. Do you have a messenger? Do you have a project or not?
If not, stop wasting my time.

Maria 8/08/08
Hello how you doing , i hope great over there ,well i got a contact from my client that the payment has been sent to you and am sure that you will be receiving it by this Monday or Tuesday plz look out for it and let me know as soon as you recieve it so that i can able to provide you the information to help me transfer the remain money to for the Air courier to come over to pick up the Project from you and deliver the rest Project to you ....
Hope to read from you soon.
Stay blessed..
I sent her the estimate
Maria 8/06/2008
Thanks for your reply,Reference to the Check that will be send to you, (Air Courier fee) will be included, There services is to make sure you get the project and they would be the one to pick on the project for us. The remain balance on the check after
decduct your money will be transfer to the Courier via (WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER). To make our deal fast and constant. We on contract deals with the couriers services for long and they are reliable and faster. We want the job to look more descent and official, if possible (confidential), pls. I will be looking forward to your response. Best regard,

Maria 8/05/08
Thanks for your prompt reply it was nice to read from you
again .. i have attach part of the file to you at the below and am willing to pay you all the money charges at once to avoid delay on the project work but my mode of payment will be through cashier Check, so Kindly forward your payment information to me ASAP.. NAME,ADDRESS,ZIP CODE and PHONE NUMBER so that i can told one of my client that owing me in north Carolina to send you the payment .
I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks

Maria 8/04/2008
Thanks for your reply , the document is about HIV/AIDS kindly get back to me with the cost of 10,000
words and let me know when it will be deliever to me , i will also like to know your mode of payment But my Mode of my payment is in through cashiers check / money order .. But i will attach the project to you inthe next mail .. Hope to
read from you soon.
Re: Scam!               [Reply to this message]
Sender: breakupquotes (Break up quotes) 17-11-2011 15:50

In fact, Maria Brown is the name someone uses to send "lottery Winner" scams into your inbox. It seems it is allways the same scam scheme: if you contact her, you will receive a dude check for you to monetize in any bank in your Country, and then send back part of the money to her. Watch out: the "checks" are fakes and you could get involved in legas troubles if you try anyway to monetize them or negotiate something with the checks! You can see the details of the "Lotery Winner" Maria Brown's scam here: http://www.scamdex.com/MHON/L/msg30804.php
Re: scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Dominique Stéphany 22-08-2008 19:59

Hello Nadine (and fellow freelancers!),
Every single one of the messages you received from the so-called "Maria Brown" is IDENTICAL, WORD FOR WORD, to the ones I received 4 weeks or so ago. I have sent the dud cheque they sent me to the Norwich Union people, their Special Fraud Group are looking into it, they told me thousands of people have already fallen victims to similar scams, all from Africa, ie someone sends you an apparent overpayment for a service/rent/anything they may supposedly owe you money for, in the form of a (dud)cheque, the idea being that you drop the cheque at your bank and pay them the difference through Western Union(untraceable)BEFORE you have realised/been told by your bank that the cheque is dud! I know, you would not think anyone could be daft enough to do that before their cheque has cleared, but obviously there are plenty of very naive people out there who fall for such scams! Fortunately you and I had enough sense to see through it and I am glad we have this opportunity, with this forum, to try and warn other potential victims.
The odd thing was that I received two further E-mails from "Maria Brown" asking about the whereabouts of this cheque AFTER I had "exposed" their scam and told them I had alerted the banks in the UK and the police in Cotonou through some friend I knew at the French embassy in Benin!(and called them all sorts of names!!!)
Sender: Abdelkader SELLAL 15-03-2011 04:16

This is a warning against the acts of swindle and scam of Mr Petr Ilchman, general manager of the former www.gebls.com auction site which has now a new name and a new look, www.e-bakos.com.
The site is of Slovakian law and right and Mr. Ilchman is a Czech citizen.
I have translated between June and September 2010 this site from English into German and into French for an amount of 3 880 Euros.
After several months of dilatory maneuvers and after having seized the Slovakian Chamber of Commerce and industry, Mr Ilchman clearly stated me that he will not pay me and that he was ready with his lawyer to procedd on all my steps.
Mr Ilchman has swindled and scammed several other translators,
I launch an appeal to all these translators so that we engage a legal action for :
First to get paid for our jobs
Second to prevent Mr Ilchman for proceeding on his self declared and self assumed swindle and scam activities, that is to obtain by the law the closing of the www.e-bakos.com auction site.
Third, to send possibly Mr Ilchman into jail.
I am waiting for replies from translators swindled and scammed like me by Mr Ilchman.
I have constituted a huge file since last Summer about these facts and I can make it available to all concerned people among the community of translation and translators ans also to alert the central police office in Bratislava and the various Interpol offices in Europe because Mr Ilchman is nothing else than a poor devil and a small gangster.
Abdelkader SELLAL
www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Abdelkader SELLAL 16-03-2011 03:09

www.e-bakos.com are scammers and swindlers and Petr Ilchman, general manager of this site is a criminal.

New warning intended to translators and translation agencies against the criminal activities of Mr Petr Ilchman, general manager of the ww.e-bakos.com auction site.

I am enclosing a recent message sent to me by Mr Ilchman along with my reply.

This is enough for everybody to see how Mr Ilchman is a self declared and self assumed swindler and scammer.

There is an urgent need for stopping his criminal activities.
I invite the translators that have been scammed and robbed by Mr Ilchman to contact me at abdsellal@yahoo.com or iagsellal@yahoo.com for a common action. The right place for such a man is into jail.

Abdelkader SELLAL

Wed, March 16, 2011 1:34:12 AM
Re: Fw: New Invoice and Translation Order (4 880 Euros) (2nd reminder)
abdelkader sellal <iagsellal@yahoo.com>   
View Contact

To:
Localize E-bakos <localize@e-bakos.com>

Cc:
CEO@translationdirectory.com; rozsud@sopk.sk; akpeba@gti.sk; arendacky@nextra.sk; martin.hrivik@sopk.sk; sopkurad@scci.sk; abdsellal@yahoo.com

Mr. Ilchman, 

You are just a pig. You are using my translation into German of your site and you have never had the intention for paying me for a job that you have already recognized as excellent (I have the mail where you stated this).

You are making me run since last July, be damned for your miserable behaviour. I shall never release you even when I have recovered my money which is now of  4 880 Euros because of more than four months delay. I have already charged a debt collection agency to deal with my matter but I find it not sufficient. I am changing this into a true legal action and my aims are as follows :

First to be paid 4 880 Euros for my two translations (or more, my lawyer will charge 500 Euros more every two months delay).

Second to alert a maximum of other translators that you have scammed just like me and obtain feedback from them. The purpose here is to obtain from the law the closing of your site as you will perhaps not be able to pay everybody and that anyway you  are just a criminal, continuing to work with your site and proceeding on swindling and scamming translators and users.

Third, I have posted warnings in the TranslationDirectory.com website, you can check them and I have forwarded you a copy. I am going to fill the Web and especially the sites dedicated to translations with such warnings so that your name and the name of your site will be put in numerous blacklists of outsourcers.

I am preparing also to alert the central police office in Bratislava and several Interpol offices in Europe and I shall examine with my lawyer how it would be possible to charge for sending you into jail. The purpose here is to urgently prevent you from continuing your miserable actions and gangster activities.

I am also planning in the next months a trip in Bratislava. If I can, I shall be glad to put my hand in your dirty face. 

And I am not including my regards.

Abdelkader SELLAL

----- Original Message ----
To: abdelkader sellal <iagsellal@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tue, March 15, 2011 6:54:25 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: New Invoice and Translation Order (4 880 Euros) (2nd reminder)

Hello,
Continue as we have a problem in the contracts clearly stated that these
conditions were not met and has not identified any legal entitlement to payment.
The translation was adopted by translators who meet the conditions of contracts
and orders.
Your translation was not used in any translation of our own, and only a
translator who has met these conditions.

PS. Other menu you get when you refused and continued harassment and spamming
will take legal action on our part.

Conditions of Use agreement are fulfilled beating.

Registration for the site - met
User Authentication - 4 € Met charge
exposure to auction for each language - 4 € Met
  Furthermore, in terms of that if the conditions are met and the translation
will be accepted payments made within 15 days after insertion into the
translation system and the launch of the language

that you signed and sent to our conditions are not met and the translation was
not accepted.
Currently we are in the system languages ??which have been adopted.

If you are interested in the new agreement may be about to act, otherwise we
will not respond and we shall write to the blacklist for sending spam

--
S pozdravem,
Ilchmann Petr
mailto:localize@e-bakos.com
Re: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: ABS 06-04-2011 16:52

He is now active, using the name:

Hlohovec Martin - Director of E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o

Martin (translate@e-bakos.com
m.hlovec007@gmail.com
Re[2]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Paula S 06-04-2011 17:13

Hi,

I have also received a message from that Martin person today, I will make sure I stay away from him!

Thanks for your tip!
Re[3]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Michael H 06-04-2011 17:25

Same here. I applied for a job, and got a more than questionable response (two excel-like files, no other text at all, no full name as the sender). Thankfully, I did a quick Google search and found this thread.
Re[4]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Paula S 06-04-2011 17:33

Yes I got the same, two excel files in a pretty bad English. I won't even bother to reply, I also did a search on Google to be sure.
Re[5]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Giovanna t 06-04-2011 17:46

Hi guys,
I just received an email with the same xls files you were talking about from this Martin Hlohovec

Luckily I did not answer...
Perhaps is the same Petr Ilchman, I don't know.

Thank you for posting these alerts.

Here is the e-mail he sent me:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in translation for our company.

Please complete the information in the questionnaire in the Annex.

Looking for translators standing in your language.

We are looking for our representatives in your country.

please answer fast.

Regards

E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o

Sliačska 10

Bratislava,84102

Slovakia
----------
Bye bye
good luck

Giovanna
Re[6]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Paula S 06-04-2011 18:24

Yes, that's exactly the same e-mail I received, word for word. It must be the same guy with a different name then.
Re[7]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: emanuela rotunno 06-04-2011 21:25

hi everybody,
I have just received the same mail with the two excel attached files.I think I never reply to their job post, nor never emailed them. I opened the first file and I found it strange because of the kind of question and so on. So before I send it back I run a Google search and............. I found this topic. I would try to send it so I can see what happens what do you think about?
than you
Re[7]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Mandatory 07-04-2011 21:01

I also got the same word to word proposal, I didn't reply. :)

He opened an account on freelancer.com with this ID "ebkosslovakia"
New swindle and scam from Martin Hlohovec alias Petr Ilchman, E Bakos Slovakia               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Abdelkader SELLAL 08-04-2011 03:33

New swindle and scam from Martin Hlohovec alias Petr Ilchman, E Bakos Slovakia

This a new warning intended to translators about the new little schemes of Petr Ilchman who acts now as Martin Hlohovec so called from germany, however still working for the swindler and scammer site E Bakos Slovakia or www.e-bakos.com. The following advertisement has been published in the TranslationDirectory newsletter.

Be careful with this master swindler and scammer.

Abdelkader SELLAL

Re-Post - Translate document Word - 15000 words: Job 00012033

Source language(s): English
Target language(s): All languages

Details of the project: Re-Post
Translate document Word - 15000 words
Hello,
we need to re-publish this post and add our data.
We are looking for translators from English into all languages​​.

The file contains 15,000 words.
These are phrases of our new software on which we work.

I am a private person and payment will be implemented in advance.
50% advance, 50% after

Martin Hlohovec
Possendorfer Str. 185/12
Dresden
Germany

Email : m.hlovec007 at gmail.com

We will pay for this job 0.10 EUR per word

Who can apply: Freelancers and agencies

Deadline for applying: 05/31/2011

Keep this ad at the site permanently

Martin Hlohovec
Martin Hlohovec
Germany
m.hlovec007 at gmail.com
no website
IP: 141.76.45.35 (Dresden, Germany)
Posted on Saturday, 02 Apr 2011, 15:29:53
Re[6]: E-Bakos Slovakia, Hlohovec Martin and Petr Ilchman are criminals               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Abdelkader SELLAL 07-04-2011 02:09

Hlohovec Martin is the Director of E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o and Petr Ilchman, the General Manager of this auction site. These people are self-declared and self-assumed swindlers and scammers.
They hire people for working for their site and they know they cannot and they are not going to pay them anyway. I have done for them on last summer a double translation of their site from English into German and French for an amount of 3 880 Euros and I am convinced now that I shall never get this money because even if I win a trial against them, they cannot pay anyway.
They have done the same with numerous other translators.
Thus, what I am trying to do now is to pursue them through a Police office at Bratislava or with Interpol because these people are true criminals and they must be stopped.

I shall provide further in formation later on.

Abdelkader SELLAL.
Re[3]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Anca 07-04-2011 07:01

Dear collegues,

Thank you all for the precious information about E-bakos and the two persons involved (Petr Ilchman and now the person who contacted me, Martin Hlohovec in March, respectively in April 2011). I received exactly the same e-mail as the translators who already complained about them, and as it looked strange to me, I felt I had to verify their site and their "fame". In 12 years, it is the first time that I "smell" the scam from their first mail to me.

I also wonder ... isn't it interesting that on our site (translationdirectory.com), their last announcement provides a different address, as if they were from Dresden, Germany?

Thank you all for the confiramtion.

I have enclosed below their new advertisment on this site

Re-Post - Translate document Word - 15000 words: Job 00012033

Source language(s): English
Target language(s): All languages

Details of the project: Re-Post
Translate document Word - 15000 words
Hello,
we need to re-publish this post and add our data.
We are looking for translators from English into all languages​​.

The file contains 15,000 words.
These are phrases of our new software on which we work.

I am a private person and payment will be implemented in advance.
50% advance, 50% after

Martin Hlohovec
Possendorfer Str. 185/12
Dresden
Germany

Email : m.hlovec007 at gmail.com

We will pay for this job 0.10 EUR per word

Who can apply: Freelancers and agencies

Deadline for applying: 05/31/2011

Keep this ad at the site permanently

Martin Hlohovec
Martin Hlohovec
Germany
m.hlovec007 at gmail.com
no website
IP: 141.76.45.35 (Dresden, Germany)
Posted on Saturday, 02 Apr 2011, 15:29:53

AND THIS IS THEIR MAIL TO ME:

Hello,

please answer fast.

Regards

E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o

Sliačska 10

Bratislava,84102

Slovakia

--------------------------------------------------------

ID- 46 045 074

VAT- 2023220991

Registered in the Commercial Court in Bratislava
Re: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Jack Logan (Break up quotes) 17-11-2011 16:02

I was scammed by them before, when their company name was Gebls World Shop, Slovakia, with a website www.gebls.com. Watch out! They offer you translation jobs, sometimes very long and difficult, promising a very good payment (in my case they offered 0.08 / 0.09 Euros per word) and though I made my best to send back them a very good work, they never paid me a cent. Now their company's name has changed to E-Bakos, but it is still the same crap. Don't accept any offer from them!
Re[2]: www.e-bakos.com are scammers and Petr Ilchman, general manager is a criminal.               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Jack Logan (I pad user guide) 23-01-2012 17:26

I would have suspected from the quantity they offer to pay. I think 0.09 Euros per word is by far a suspiciously big payment, don't you think? Maybe they would offer this quantity after receiving some works done and confirming the quality of your translations, but for the first time, without knowing you, I think no one would pay that much. My rule of thumb is: if the offer looks too generous watch out! It MUST be a scam.
Re[2]: scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Anya 20-05-2011 19:41

I got a message from them too, copying it here:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us recently in order to cooperate with our company.

These days we are preparing texts to be translated, approximately 100-200 A4 ages.

Our company looking for a representative of our company in your country.

Rewards for representatives to 50% of the profits of the company in your country.

We require only knowledge of the English language and the language into which they translate.

Will translate from English into your language.

In case you have interest to translate our company please reply to this email.

In reply, please state the following:

City of residence:

Languages which translate to:

Your rate:

Are you interested in representing our company in your country? :

The representative will not make any legal acts, it is only representative in the country who will communicate with our company and online retailers in your country.

Works only on PC.

Work on the contract.

They may be either the only or the translation of texts for translation and representation.

In another you please find a list of banks and banking institutions in your country.

If possible send us a list in Word or Excel.

The list needs to contact the banks when opening an account for our company.

For assistance with contacting Bank (email in your language)

Some banks in the world to a bank account for a foreign company by mail.

To help provide a reward.

Sorry for the English translation of emails to use machine translation

Regards Peter Ilchmann

E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o

Sliačská 10

Bratislava

SR

-------------------
and another one:

Hello,

please answer fast.

Regards

E-bakos Slovakia s.r.o

Sliačska 10

Bratislava,84102

Slovakia

--------------------------------------------------------

ID- 46 045 074

VAT- 2023220991

Registered in the Commercial Court in Bratislava
Re[3]: scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Paula S 20-05-2011 19:44

I received exactly the same message from that Peter Ilchmann today. I never contacted this guy before. A month or so ago, I also received the e-mail from that Martin guy. Obviously a scam for translators.
Re: House Rental Scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Art 30-10-2011 23:56

Hi guys,

Thanks for heads up. Here is one of "Maria Brown's" latest scams:

Am Ella Madison am very interested to rent your apartment am really from PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND CANADA but am in West coast Africa for now working has interior decorator so am coming over down there for a RENTING , i am looking for a good place to rent and i came across your advert so tell me more about your place and i will also like to know if the apartment is very neat, am easy going type honest, humble and i will also like to know how the condition of the apartment is also let me know how much you will be renting the place , i will be waiting to hear from u as soon as possible

Regard.
Re[2]: House Rental Scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Paula S 30-10-2011 23:59

Hi all,

Another scammer: never work for a person from India called Anita or Ankit Kapoor (she uses both names). I did a job for her in August and after I delivered it she stopped replying to my e-mails. Her e-mail address is focusvalue11@gmail.com. I did part of the job so I guess there was other translator that also got scammed.
Sender: roger 22-12-2011 09:43

Hi

I received exactly the same message (21.12.2011 23:44) from "Ella Madison, madisonella112@gmail.com".

Am Ella Madison am very interested to rent your apartment am really from PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND CANADA but am in West coast Africa for now working has interior decorator so am coming over to settle down , i am looking for a good place to rent and i came across your advert and i will like to know more about the place, also let me know if the apartment is neat, am easy going type honest, humble and i will also like to know how the condition of the apartment and let me know how much you want to rent it out , i will be waiting to hear from u as soon .. Regard.
Re[3]: House Rental Scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: jake 01-02-2012 19:06

wow received the exact same message from ella madison "madisonella74@gmail.com" 01/02/12 (stupid people anger me)
Am Ella Madison am very interested to rent your apartment am really
from PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND CANADA but am in West coast Africa for now
working has interior decorator so am coming over to settle down , i am
looking for a good place to rent and i came across your
advert and i will like to know more about the place,
also let me know if the apartment is neat, am easy going type honest,
humble and i
will also like to know how the condition of the apartment and let
me know how much you want to rent it out , i will be waiting to
hear from u as soon ..

Regard.
Re[4]: House Rental Scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Erin 16-03-2012 17:09

I just got the same scam email from Ella.

I 'm Ella, i will like to make inquiry concerning your posted on craigslist originally i was born and brought up in PEI, Canada but currently in west Africa on a business trip . I working as interior decorator... i like reading, learning more about nature , easy going type honest and reliable... I will like to stay in your place for six month or more depend on the lease been drawn. Can you kindly feed me more information about the place , your price and procedure. I will be waiting to read more from you .

Regard...
Re[5]: House Rental Scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: S. Delisle 06-03-2013 02:30

2013-03-05: Vancouver, BC ( Canada)
We received a very similar request.

On 2013-03-04, at 11:01 AM, madisonella24 <madisonella24@gmail.com> wrote:

Good to read your respond, i will like to know more about the place and I will like to stay in your room/apt for 6month to 1 year lease depend on how the lease been drawn but I'm moving in April 1st, 2013 which is also my coming over date... ABOUT ME ...I am 26 year-old female working as interior decoration really from Roma Italy but currently in West coast part of Africa BENIN for a business trip. I keep 'professional' hours, so typically work 9am-7pm or so. I am pretty low-key easy going someone, honest, humble,
reliable and clean.... I use to study a lot,on weekend nights I like to have little drinks with friends or go to yoga/gym, then come home for food + TV + sleep. but am not a party-er. I enjoy having friends over for a dinner party/board games once a month. I'm fairly neat and clean in common areas but can let my bedroom get messy at times which is normal....

Things I enjoy: reading, cooking, walking around the city & discovering new places, restaurants, random pieces of trivia, wine, card games, all things British (comedy, history, literature, etc). I enjoy watching House, Modern Family, and Law & Order reruns, i will attach my picture to you in the next email, you can attach yours too .. so am interesting in paying the deposit to secure the place so that i can have it at the back of my mind that the place is mine, you can also let me know your mode of payment .... but my best mode of payment is by certified check to make the deposit or money order if you agree with that you can kindly get back to me with your name in full to issue on the payment with your address to mail it to by courier and your phone number to contact you and i will instruct my client to issue and mail out the payment to you as soon as possible ... it so nice to view the
picture's of the place, wow i can't wait to move in and i promise to
take Good care of the place .. waiting to read from you ASAP..

Regard
Sender: dan 27-03-2012 17:07

I too have been contacted by this scam, I gave them my house address, name and phone number I am a little worried about having done this and am wondering if anyone knows what they are trying to get??? And if I have given them too much information/what should I do in order to protect myself against their scam if I have given to much info. Please help me,
Sender: csuzano 05-06-2012 20:49

I got that same person. And they even sent a fake check to me.
Sender: Edith 01-10-2013 22:06

Fellow Translators,

This so-called Maria Brown has struck again, from France this time. "She" seems to be working with an accomplice named Paul James Dantas With an address in Monflanquin, and with another one named Deborah Keyes, in Las Vegas, Nevada. She used a false money order from a branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) in Saut St. Marie, Ontario, Canada, to the amount of CAN $2,490,00 from an I.D. Scott person, and asked that the overpayment (a little over CAN $ 1,200,00 be returned to that Dantas fellow in France through Western Union first. Then she claimed she had to go back to the USA to take care of her sick grandmother and asked that I sent the overpayment back to Deborah Keyes instead through MoneyGram (in Canada, Western Union refuses to send amounts over CAN $1,000 to a correspondent the sender does not know).

So beware of these names also: Paul James Dantas in France, Deborah Keyes in Nevada and an I.D. Scott in Ontario.

Edith
Re[2]: scam               [Reply to this message]
Sender: Lyndsey Nicholson 28-11-2013 10:58

Thank you so much Edith for taking the time to write this. You've saved me a lot of money! This scam is now also targeting virtual assistants with Jonathan Coker replacing Maria Brown but Paul James Dantas is the same contact for the Western Union Transfer. I just so happened to google the name Paul James Dantas and saw your email. Thanks again you're a life saver!

Search forum and the rest of TranslationDirectory.com:

Free Newsletter

Subscribe to our free newsletter to receive updates from us:

New at the Forum

New Free Articles

# 2488
Rosetta Stone and Translation Rates

# 2467
Translation - an Ageless Profession

# 2466
Have Language, Will Travel

# 2486
Почему так мало хороших переводов и хороших переводчиков?

# 2479
Average monthly wage in different European countries

# 2487
Two New Chinese Translations of Hamlet Introduced and Compared

# 2475
Linguistic history of the Indian subcontinent

# 2474
Languages with official status in India

# 2251
The Database: Your Most Valuable Asset!

More articles
More articles for translators

Vote in Polls

All Polls:
Polls on all topics

Christian Polls:
Polls on Christian topics

Financial Polls:
Polls on Financial topics

Polls for Freelancers:

Poll # 104
Have you obtained at least one new client through your facebook account?

Poll # 100
What is the worst time-waster?

Poll # 099
If you work at a laptop, do you usually use touchpad or mouse?

Poll # 094
If you run a translation agency, do you ever outsource / subcontract your projects to other translation agencies?

Poll # 090
What do you like the most about TranslationDirectory.com?

Poll # 088
Which translation portal emails you the largest number of job notifications?

Poll # 087
Which one of the following sites has the most appealing color scheme?

Poll # 085
Do you charge a fine (interest) fee for every day of payment delay?

Poll # 083
Do you have licensed SDL Trados software installed at your computer?

Poll # 079
Have you always dreamt to become a translator?

Poll # 078
Do you plan to be a freelance translator for the rest of your life?

Poll # 077
Is it necessary to learn translation theory in order to become a good translator?

Poll # 076
Will human translation be entirely replaced by machine translation in the future?

Poll # 074
Do you have savings?

Poll # 065
Do you know that the Bible is the most popular book in the world?

Poll # 063
What is the purpose of your life?

Poll # 059
How many hours per night do you sleep (in average)?

More polls
More polls for freelancers

christianity portal
hotel directory

Copyright © 2003-2024 by TranslationDirectory.com
Legal Disclaimer
Site Map